Wednesday, June 30, 2010

2010 Chicago Pride Parade

I made another half-ass attempt to photograph the Pride Parade this year.  I say "half-ass" not because I dislike the photos, but rather because I always leave the parade feeling like I could have done a better job.  Perhaps by next year, I'll finally have a definitive set.

Anyway, I found a good spot to watch the parade this year, right where it turns from Halsted to Broadway.  This allowed me to get some great shots of the approaching festivities:

Approaching Pride

pride band

I had the camera held above my head for at least one of those two photos.  This was necessary, because I didn't arrive early enough to get a front row spot, and I was looking through about two rows of people.  This resulted in a lot of photos where my view was obstructed, such as this one:

DSC_0122

See that dark spot on the right-- that's someone's head moving into the frame just as I hit the shutter.  Erg!

I did get some good sign photos.  These are my favorites:

archivists are hot

WON NOISULCNI SNART

Someone standing near me tried to tell this guy that his sign was upside down, but he didn't seem to understand.  Say it with me... WON NOISULCNI SNART!  WON NOISULCNI SNART!

Finally, I think this was the least happy person I saw at the parade:

"Is this parade over with, yet?"

I doubt this lady wanted to be photographed, but hey, if you're gonna plop yourself on a window ledge on Halsted Street, it goes with the territory.

You can see more photos by visiting my Pride Parade set on flickr (which includes some half-assed photos from 2007 and 2008 as well).

Photo Details: Nikon D90 with 55-200mm for all shots.

No comments: