Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Open House Chicago: Kemper Building

Last weekend I attended the Chicago Architecture Foundation’s excellent Open House Chicago event for the third year.  And for the third year I had a blast exploring Chicago history and architecture.  I also once again took an obscene amount of photographs, most of which, if I'm being honest with myself, will probably not see the light of day for some time.  Busy, busy.

The first site that I visited this year was the Kemper Building at State and Wacker.  The Kemper Building makes the Open House Chicago list not for any significant architectural achievements (it's a pretty boring 1960s office building, in my humble opinion) but rather because it has a rarely used observation deck on the 41st floor that affords some pretty dramatic views in all directions.  Unfortunately, as you can see in the photos below, it also has some of the most reflective and dirty windows that I've ever encountered.  I stopped by Kemper last year and found the experience frustrating, but this time around I tried to embrace the chaos:

Hall of Reflection
"Hall of Reflection" © Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7100 w/ Sigma 10-20mm lens, 1/160sec at f7.1, ISO400.

Hall of Reflection, 2
"Hall of Reflection, 2" © Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7100 w/ Sigma 10-20mm lens, 1/200cec at f7.1, ISO400.

Hall of Reflection, 3
"Hall of Reflection, 3" © Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7100 w/ Sigma 10-20mm lens, 1/80sec at f8, ISO200.

Hall of Reflection, 4
"Hall of Reflection, 4" © Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7100 w/ Sigma 10-20mm lens, 1/320sec at f7.1, ISO200.

You can see more of my (slowly) expanding Open House Chicago photos on flickr.

A quick plug for the Chicago Architecture Foundation.  This year I purchased a membership for $65, which gives you priority access to all Open House Chicago sites-- a big time saver at some locations-- plus access to member only sites.  In addition you also get a 2 for 1 discount on their river boat tours, and a bunch of other great benefits.  Totally worth the money.

No comments: