Friday, May 10, 2013

Photo of the Week: P-I-C-A-S-S-O

P-I-C-A-S-S-O
"P-I-C-A-S-S-O" Copyright Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7100 w 16-85mm lens, 1/640sec at f8, ISO400.

I had some good choices for my "photo of the week" this week.  Gapers Block featured one of my industrial shots on Wednesday, and this damaged pair of Chicago street signs made the rounds on flickr's Explore.  But my favorite shot is this one of Daley Plaza, which over the last few months has included seven over-sized letters spelling out the name PICASSO-- part art installation in tribute to the statue behind it, and part advertisement for the Art Institute's Picasso show which ends this week.

I like how these letters add a bit of color to what is normally a pretty drab Daley Plaza, and it was fun to watch people interact with them.  It does give off a bit of a playground vibe, but half of Chicago already uses the Picasso statue as a slide, so perhaps that's fitting.

My goal with this shot was to include all the letters from P to O, while emphasizing the P, and also capturing the statue in the background.  I had to sit on my butt to make this composition work, but I think it was worth it.

No comments: