Saturday, May 4, 2013

Photo of the Week: Be Smooth, Chicago

Be Smooth
"Be Smooth" Copyright Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7000 w 16-85mm lens, 1/160sec at f4.5, ISO400.

The Wells Street Bridge is undergoing a complete reconstruction this spring.  This photo is from mid April.  The south side of the bridge was replaced in March (the gray section) with the north side (the red section) coming out this week.  A brown line train is seen in this shot advising us to "Be Smooth", an advertisement for some sort of alcohol, I assume.

I processed this shot with Adobe Photoshop and the DXO Film Pack 3 plugin.  I don't use the film pack very often, but sometimes I launch it just to try out different looks with an image.  In this case, I used the Agfa Precisa 100 filter, which gave this photo a little more 'pop'.

The Chicago Tribune has more photos of the reconstruction.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Do you know if the bridge will be restored to its reddish color after this is done, or will it be gray? Or is the color something that happens over time as the steel beams age? Nice photo, by the way.

Andy Marfia said...

@Stacey: I think it gets painted that color but I'm not 100% sure. If you look at this photo (of a different bridge) you can see there are several layers of paint on it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/abmarfia/8692011916/