Friday, June 10, 2011

Photo of the Week: Brace Yourself

Brace Yourself
Nikon D7000 w/ Nikkor 35mm lens, 1/6400 at f1.8, ISO100. Copyright 2011 Andy Marfia, All Rights Reserved.

This week's photo was taken last weekend at the Printers Row Lit Festival (formerly known as the Book Fest), one of my favorite events of the summer.  Interesting, because I posted this to flickr on Wednesday (right in the middle of a three day heat wave that saw temperatures hit the mid 90s in Chicago) people commenting assumed it was a commentary on the weather.  Which it was, sort of, but truthfully it wasn't all that hot the day I took it.  Context is everything.

This is actually a crop of the following photo, which I thought I'd share as well:

DSC_4619
Copyright 2011 Andy Marfia, All Rights Reserved.

While I don't mind the original, I think the cropped version is the superior composition for two reasons: 1) It emphasizes the main subject better, and 2) the full version reveals a very annoying flaw in the photo.  Namely, I shot this at f1.8 when I really should have used f4 to f8.  Note how the man in the second ice cream truck is just slightly out of focus.  Maybe nobody else would care or notice but that really bugs me.  It's true-- I'm my own worst critic.

3 comments:

phule said...

I actually prefer the original and /like/ the slightly out-of-focus rendering.

To me, with the other truck having customers, it makes the subjects stance more...something...tense? anticipatory? Not sure exactly.

Regardless, it's a nice shot with nice light no matter how you crop it. :)

Andre Alforque said...

I like the crop - tells the story better; adds drama. But as Phule said: either way it's a good shot. :)

Andy Marfia said...

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.