Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Top 54? of 2010

Top 54? of 2010

As I've done the last couple of January's, I like to start off the new year by finishing the previous year's "best of" photo set.  So while I still have 2010 photos to edit and post, I'm considering this set closed at the curious number of 54.  Yes, 54.  I tried to trim it down to 50, but didn't quite make it there.  Last year I only included 39 photos and the previous year 28, so either I've become better at photography, or my ability to chose the best photos has degraded.  I'm going to try some positive thinking (don't get used to it) and assume the former.

Click here to view the full set or see it as a slideshow.

As is often the case, the photos that I like the most are rarely the ones that receive the most comments (though I usually like those too).  I would say this is my favorite of the year:

all the city's a stage
Nikon D90 with 55-200mm (at 200mm), 1/250sec at f5.6, ISO400

That's the BP Bridge in Millennium Park with the Michigan Ave streetscape in the background.  I really love the combination of elements, that small personal moment between the two women on the bridge contrasted with the hugeness of the city behind them.

An honorable mention, I find that this one makes me smile every time I see it:

hey, you see an arm around here?
Nikon D90 with 55-200mm (at 55mm), 1/200sec at f4, ISO400

Finally, as I did last year, I thought it would be amusing to look back on the stats for the year.  I posted exactly 205 photos in 2010.  That comes out to 3.94 photos per week.  That's up a bit from last year when I posted 186 photos, and 2008 when I posted 178.  My goal is to get anywhere from 2 to 5 quality photos on flickr per week, so I did pretty well in that regard.  Here's hoping that 2011 is equally productive.