Thursday, January 20, 2011

Photo of the Week: Chicago, January

Chicago, January

This week's photo was taken just east of Montrose Harbor (on the narrow peninsula that surrounds the Harbor-- click over to flickr if you'd like to see the mapped location).  I tried several abstractions with the skyline from closer to the waterline, but wound up liking this photo the best, which I took while retreating back to my car.  It was pretty cold out there.

I shot this at f14 to preserve as much of the background as possible while still putting it nicely out of focus.  For me, the key to defocusing the Chicago skyline is to leave just enough detail so you can still see the antennas on top of the Hancock or the Sears Tower.  Once those are lost you've gone too far.

Photo Details: Nikon D7000 with 55-200mm lens (at 200mm), 1/160sec at f14, ISO400. I did minimal processing to this one-- just the standard RAW conversion and a levels adjustment.

No comments: