Saturday, June 8, 2013

Photo of the Week: Chopper 15

Chopper 15
"Chopper 15" Copyright Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7100 w/ 16-85mm lens, 1/100sec at f18, ISO100.

A helicopter hovers near the Merchandise Mart, in Chicago's River North.  I happened to walk by on this day as they were doing an airlift.  I'm not sure what it was for, but they were lifting steel beams from a barge in the river to the roof of the Mart.  It was impressive to watch as they were flying quite close to the building.

Taking photos of helicopters is particularly challenging for me.  Ideally, I like to capture them with the propeller blades slightly blurred to show motion, but this requires a shutter speed of about 1/60sec to 1/160sec.  Higher than that and the blades are frozen by the camera, which just looks weird-- it's not how our eyes see the scene.  I shot both these photos at 1/100sec at 55mm and 52mm focal lengths.  I tried some shots at longer focal lengths to get closer to the helicopter, but none of them were sharp enough for my satisfaction.

Over the Merch
"Over the Merch" Copyright Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved. Nikon D7100 w/ 55-200mm lens, 1/100sec at f14, ISO100.

No comments: