Saturday, April 6, 2013

Classic: Roger Ebert, 1943-2013

Classic
Nikon D7000 w/ 16-85mm lens, 1/125sec at f8, ISO200. © Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved.

Roger Ebert passed away on Thursday and the city of Chicago will never be quite the same.  He was a Chicago legend, not just a movie critic, but simply a great writer.  I’ve been reading his movie reviews, and more recently, his blog, for the better part of 20 years.  I grew up with him and Gene Siskel arguing on my parent’s 19 inch Zenith television.  Some of his reviews I remember more vividly than the movies themselves.  For example, I don't think I’ve ever seen Godzilla or Armageddon in their entirety, yet I remember Roger Ebert eviscerating them.  He often surprised me by liking a movie that I expected him to hate, and vice versa-- truly the sign of a good critic.

In the last few years, his openness and courage in the face of cancer was an inspiration.  I also appreciated his critique of 3-D, something that rang true to me as a photographer.

I’ll save the long memorials for those who knew him personally, but I just wanted to say 'thanks'.  You will be missed.

About the photo: this was taken on Friday, April 5, 2013, the day after he passed away.  The only newspaper to not feature him on the cover was the Chicago Reader (yellow box) which comes out on Thursdays. 

No comments: