Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Photo of the Week: City on the Trash

City on the Trash
Nikon D7000 w/ 70-300mm lens, 1/1000sec at f8, ISO400. © Andy Marfia 2013 All Rights Reserved.

I'd love to claim some deep reasoning behind this week's photo, which combines the Chicago skyline with a trash can along the city's lakefront.  The truth is, I just thought it was funny to throw a trash can into an otherwise pretty skyline photo.  I actually chuckled to myself as I was taking this one.

Of course, I could write something up:

"The elevation of the trash can into the cityscape realigns the viewers perspective, turning the mundane into the majestic and the majestic into the mundane."

The great thing about photography, and art in general, is-- if it's worth a damn-- it should be open to interpretation and extend beyond the simple click of the shutter.  I'd like to think this photo falls into that category, so please, feel free to add your own caption.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

My interpretation: this photo is a statement about Rahm Emanuel and how he's "trashing" the city of Chicago with poor governance. How do you like that?

Andy Marfia said...

@Leslie: Oh, that's good. I like that a lot!