Thursday, May 17, 2012

Photo of the Week: Over Under

Over Under
Nikon D7000 w/ Nikon 70-300mm (at 180mm), 1/400sec at f8, ISO200.  Copyright Andy Marfia 2012 All Rights Reserved.

Vertical photos tend to get short changed on the internet, which is unfortunate as I take a lot of vertical shots.  A few years ago, your standard monitor was a 4:3 aspect ratio, likely 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 (which is what I use).  Now, monitors have all switched to 16x10 or even worse 16x9 dimensions to better match the dimensions of HDTVs.  Your standard resolution on most laptops today is 1366x768.  That's not a good screen size for productivity, in my opinion, but I guess watching videos drives sales more than using an excel spreadsheet or viewing photos on the internet.

Anyway, that lament aside, I still really like vertical compositions and have no intention of abandoning them.  I took this shot of various Chicago bridges from the Chicago River Walk.  I wanted to get as many bridges into one shot as possible (there are six in this photo, though the ones at the bottom start to truncate together) and also capture people walking on more than one.

No comments: