Saturday, February 4, 2012

Photo of the Week: Shadow Play

shadow play
Nikon D7000 w/ 16-85mm lens, 1/1000sec at f8, ISO200. © Andy Marfia 2012 All Rights Reserved.

I've titled this week's photo "Shadow Play", which I'll admit, is kind of a cop out. I've used that title at least 2 or 3 times already-- it's sort of my "I can't think of anything better" title for shadow related photos. Nonetheless, I really like this shot, in particular how the angle of the light has caused the streetlight to look unbalanced, like it's a scale. (Those two lights are actually perfectly even.)

This was taken on Lincoln Ave, one of several slanted streets in Chicago, running northwest to southeast. This is important because at this particular point of the day the sun was coming from due south. On a street running north/south, or east/west, this shadow would have either been in a different place or blocked by buildings. This also accounts for why the streetlight looks askew. Here's another shot:

counterbalance
Nikon D7000 w/ 16-85mm lens, 1/1000sec at f8, ISO200. © Andy Marfia 2012 All Rights Reserved.

No comments: