Friday, May 6, 2011

Flower Power Chicago

Spring means different things to different people.  For some, it represents rejuvenation and revival.  For others, it's a time to "spring clean" in preparation for the warm season ahead.  For me, it's the time of year where everyone on flickr starts posting flower photos.

This is, of course, both a good and a bad thing.  You see I like flower photography as much as the next guy, but I also get bored with it pretty quickly.  As such, I have a simple rule that I try to follow every year.  I give myself a day or two to walk around and take as many blossoms and flower shots as my heart desires.  Where appropriate I try to keep them in an urban context (flowers and city juxtaposed, oh my!) and then I get it out of my system and move on.

Here are a few shots from a recent walk around my neighborhood:

Clark & Ashland
Nikon D7000 w/ Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens, 1/2500sec at f2, ISO100. I was standing in the median for this shot, in between where Clark and Ashland converge, in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood.

Imperial Guard
Nikon D7000 w/ Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens, 1/5000sec at f1.8, ISO100.  Another shot from inside the median.  A bit of a random focal point, but I wanted the streetlight in the background to stay partially visible.  If I had focused on the closest flower it would have been completely bokehfied.

Refocus / Spring
Nikon D7000 w/ Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens, 1/1000sec at f2.8, ISO100.  This is outside Gethsemane Garden Center on Clark St.

All photos © Andy Marfia 2011, All Rights Reserved.

No comments: