Thursday, November 18, 2010

Photo of the Week: urban re-renewal

urban re-renewal

The phenomenon of fast food restaurants being converted into discount insurance stores has always fascinated me.  Okay, maybe it's not a phenomenon-- maybe it's something that's limited to Chicago, and maybe even just to my area-- but I can think of at least three locations where this has happened.  One, the store pictures above, and two Taco Bells.

So I was amused the other day when I noticed that this former Checkers, which for several years had been turned into an insurance store, had now been turned back into a fast food restaurant.  Urban re-renewal.  Or Urban re-repurposing.  Or whatever you want to call it.  I thought it was kind of cool.

This is at Devon and Broadway, kiddie corner to Loyola University's north side campus.  A good location for a 24 hour fast food joint, though no where near Maxwell Street, as the name would imply. 

I got off the train a few stops early in order to get this shot-- it wasn't quite twilight yet, so I walked around the area for about 10 to 15 minutes, waiting for the sky to turn a nice shade of blue.  Sometimes the difference between a successful photo and just an average one is 10 minutes.

Photo Details: Canon S95 at 28mm, 1/40sec at f2.0, ISO80.

No comments: