Monday, October 18, 2010

Photo of the Week: my city

my city

I did a search through my photostream before posting this one-- I was curious, and wanted to confirm that I had never posted a photo of the Chicago skyline.  Oh sure, I've uploaded photos that abstract the skyline, such as this one, or include the skyline as part of the composition, but never a photo of just the skyline with nothing else going on in the foreground.  So I guess it was time.

I took this photo in late August from Navy Pier.  I was at the pier to see the Tall Ships but arrived late and only took a few photographs of the ships themselves.  This was a rather cold and blustery evening.  The birds on the right side were flying south-- perhaps already starting to migrate for the winter?

Processing note: I shot this with the Nikon 35mm f1.8 lens, a decent optic with one serious flaw-- it produces chromatic aberration out the wazzoo.  Check out this pre and post processing crop:

ChicagoSkyline_Crop2

ChicagoSkyline_Crop1

Fortunately, chromatic aberration cleans up fairly well with some careful work-- I used DxO Optics Pro for this task.

Photo Details: Nikon D90 with 35mm lens, 1/50sec handheld at f2.8, ISO400.

No comments: