Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Transformers 3 Filming: August 8th, 2010

I've never seen a Transformers movie.  Wait-- scratch that-- I saw the animated movie when I was a kid.  The animated movie rocked.  But these new Michael Bay blockbusters with giant CGI robots and Megan Fox's limited acting skills-- I just don't care.

But what I do like is spectacle taking place in my city.  The familiar made unfamiliar.  So I've been pretty jealous the last few weeks as my flickr contacts have been posting photos of the Transformers 3 filming.  I don't work in the loop, so I can't take photos during the week.  Hence, when I heard they were filming over the weekend of August 7th and 8th, blockading off the LaSalle St Bridge, I figured I may as well head down there.

I basically made one very slow circle around the entire shoot, walking down Wacker, then across the Wells St Bridge, then down Kinzie, and back north across the Clark St Bridge.  Although the film crew allowed people to stand and watch across the street on Wacker, they tried to keep people moving on the bridges-- unfortunate, as those were the best places to take photographs.

Here are my favorite shots:

taxi cab blues
Nikon D90 with 70-300mm lens at 300mm, 1/200sec, f10 and ISO200.  I was standing on the other side of Wacker for this one and had to wait for traffic to clear to get a clean shot.  See that white spot in the lower right-- that's a golf cart parked nearby.

Lasalle & Wacker
Nikon D90 with 16-85mm lens, 1/160sec at f8, ISO200. This was also from the other side of Wacker.

road work ahead
Nikon D90 with 70-300mm lens at 260mm, 1/400sec, f8 and ISO200. I shot this one looking north from Kinzie.

Mayor Daley's militia marches across the Chicago River, seizes control of loop
Nikon D90 with 70-300mm lens at 270mm, 1/320sec, f8 and ISO200.  This and the following shot were both taken from the Clark St Bridge.  I was looking towards the sun, which normally isn't ideal, though I kind of like how the haze blends with the smoke.

more than meets the eye
Nikon D90 with 70-300mm lens at 300mm, 1/800sec, f5.6 and ISO200.  That's a brown line train in the background.  This photo also features 4 different bridges.

giant robot fan club
Nikon D90 with 70-300mm lens at 75mm, 1/500sec, f4.5 and ISO200.  Some fans on Wacker sitting on top of the electrical boxes.  I was surprised they let people sit up there.

No comments: