Monday, July 26, 2010

Photo of the Week: no entry to the golden city

no entry to the golden city

My photo of the week is also featured on Gapers Block today.  I like the way it looks on their home page so I saved a screen shot of this one:

Gapers

This is the pedway bridge across Lower Randolph, connecting the Monroe Parking Garage (and Grant Park) to 300 East Randolph.  I took this in the early evening after the bridge had been closed.  Although I had seen pictures of this previously, I was never sure exactly where it was.  I stumbled upon it quite randomly while walking through Grant Park one evening.

Photo Details: Nikon D90 with 16-85mm, 1/50sec at f5.3, ISO800.  This would have been a good time to have a fast f1.4 or f1.8 lens with me, or even better, a tripod, but the 16-85mm did okay thanks to its VR.  I applied a bit of noise reduction and sharpening to this in post production.  It's also cropped slightly from the original.

2 comments:

phule said...

I found it completely by accident too. I saw a couple people wandering in and out and figured there must be something of interest there. Sort of the "follow the ants" approach to exploration. :)

Andy Marfia said...

There were no ants for me to follow, but I just happened to be walking by and noticed the yellow glow. A lightbulb clicked in my head and I thought "oh, that's where that is".

This seems like a pretty underutilized bridge-- it wasn't even all that late in the evening, and it was closed.