Thursday, March 11, 2010

Photo(s) of the Week: "ORANGECITY" and "Clark Street"

ORANGECITY

This week's photos were taken on a very foggy Monday evening in Andersonville.  After shooting the first one, I remember looking at the LCD screen and thinking "oh, that's not going to work".  To my surprise it wound up being my favorite shot of the night. 

I had the white balance set to "auto" for that one, and didn't really do much in post processing other than deepen the blacks a little.  This next shot, on the other hand, I completely messed with in Photoshop:

Clark Street

In an attempt to normalize the colors, I dropped the white balance down to 2000k.  When dealing with night photography, it's pretty much impossible to normalize anything-- Sodium Vapor street lights have a different color temperature than fluorescent lights, which have a different color temperature than automobile headlights.  So this isn't necessarily more realistic than if I had left the image with an orange cast-- it's just a different look, and I like it.

Both of these were shot handheld with a Nikon D90 and 16-85mm lens, at 1/5sec and 1/8sec, respectively, and ISO800.

No comments: