Saturday, March 27, 2010

Adobe dazzles with new Photoshop 'Content-Aware Fill" Tool

Adobe has released a video showcasing a new tool for Photoshop CS5, called the "Content-Aware Fill"-- essentially an expanded and much more useful version of the healing brush tool.  This has been going around the internet for the past week, so much so that four different people have now emailed it to me.  Everyone seems genuinely excited.



I think the video speaks for itself.  It looks amazing, right?  For graphic designers, the time saving possibilities here are pretty mind boggling.  For photographers, I'm sure this will be useful as well... though I hope it's not too useful.  I'd like to think that I wouldn't take a photo that needed an entire tree removed.  Still, you never know.

I'd like to point out a couple of unknowns at this point:

1) What kind of processing power does a tool like this require?  If I had to guess, I'd say the guy in the video is using a Mac Pro with at least one (and quite possibly two) Intel quad core Xeon processors.  In other words, if you're not using bleeding edge equipment, this will run much more slowly. 

2) It's hard to tell from the video how good this looks zoomed to 100%?  Does it leave behind artifacts or smudge the details?  Will grain and texture match?  These things matter if you care about quality and are making prints larger than 8x10.

Adobe is set to officially announce CS5 on April 12th, so stay tuned.

No comments: