Thursday, July 30, 2009

The beat goes on: Nikon announces the D300s

NikonD300s

Nikon has announced today a follow up to their successful D300 professional camera, the D300s.  That "s" stands for superduperterrific! (or... something like that).  Now, I don't intend this blog to be a place where I opine about every new camera launched, however, since I am primarily a Nikon user this is of interest to me.

The D300s is a D300 with some minor changes.  It has more or less the same 12.3mp sensor as the D300 and the D90, but includes a 720p video recording mode that the D300 lacked but was included with the less expensive D90.  It also adds a continuous shooting speed of 7fps, dual CF (compact flash) and SD memory card slots, and a "quiet mode" which delays the release of the mirror until the shutter has been released.

In short, if you already own a D300, there's absolutely no reason to buy this camera, unless you really really want to record video with your DSLR.  But if you were in the market for a D300 and haven't pulled the trigger yet, then the D300s makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I'll be sticking with my D90 which works just fine for me, but if I needed a more robust camera body (and had $1799.95 to spend), this is the camera I would buy.

Note: Nikon also released a new entry level camera, the D3000, and two upgraded lenses.  You can read more about this at Nikon USA or elsewhere on the net.

No comments: