Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Battery!

Popular Photography has an extremely useful review of double A batteries in their June issue.  I'm surprised that I haven't seen this examined by other photography magazines.  We all use them, after all.  The results are not entirely surprising-- it turns out that you get what you pay for.  For example, among the rechargable batteries tested, PopPhoto says the Energizer "15 minute charger" are a best buy.  They're also the most expensive of the bunch, at $29.87 for four batteries and the charger.

Battery!

Of the disposable batteries, Energizer's E2 Lithium (seen above) costs more than twice as much as the next most expensive, at $16.84 for a pack of eight, but they last nearly 4 times as long!  I can attest to this, as I recently bought some of these to use in my pocket camera.  Granted I don't use that camera very often, but I can't remember the last time I had to swap these batteries out.

On a completely unrelated note, I suddenly have the song Battery, by Metallica, in my head.  Smashing through the boundaries, lunacy has found me... cannot stop the battery!  Yes, my head is a strange place.

Photo details: Nikon D50 with 60mm Nikon Micro lens, 1/640sec at f6.3.  If you click on the photo you can see a much larger version.

No comments: