Friday, January 11, 2008

Lake Street EL bridge... real vs model?

mini lake street

Lake Street Bridge

Top photo: The model train set at the Museum of Science and Industry.  This shot depicts the Lake Street EL as it crosses the south branch of the Chicago River.

Bottom photo: a real shot of the Lake Street EL crossing the river.  That's a Green Line train in the photo.

I'm not sure how other people approach photography, but for me, it's often a matter of making mental notes to myself... and most of the time forgetting them.  In this case, when I posted the bottom photo on flickr someone mentioned that it looked like a "model train", which intrigued me.  So I stored that in the back of my mind for a good six months, until finally I found myself at the Museum of Science and Industry looking at the exact same scene.

I tried to get a more accurate comparison shot, but wasn't able to get lower in the model train photo because there was glass in the way.

No comments: